Well, most ancient battles are a more of deploy army, then release troops and hope they win it for you while you desperately send messengers to react to changes. So if you play each side intelligently with a basic battle plan, if should be fairly solitaire friendly.
I would imagine a few different tactics for each army, then roll a die for it. I would tailor the chart to the army some, but here is a basic.
1. Strong Left
2. Strong Right
3. Strong Center
4. Balanced Line
1. General Advance
2. Break Flank on Strong Side
3. Raid with ranged, and threaten the Camp if possible.
4. Hold Strongest troops in reserve, advance.
5. Target weakest enemy troops
6. Target strongest enemy troops.
This was posted at BGG by a member there. Thought I would give it more exposure here.
VISITING JAPAN? NEED A CHEAP PLACE TO STAY IN A BEAUTIFUL AREA?