AI knows how to:
– Use terrain (will vacate poor terrain; will defend on terrain with bonuses; will avoid attacking good ground and instead look to bypass).
– Feints or masses in one location while planning the real attack elsewhere.
– Knows how to withdraw to pull an enemy forward streching supply lines and then counter attacks looking to encircle/cutoff an army.
– Use seasons; will attack in the Spring and use the Winter to consolidate and secure its gains.
– Will set up a layered defense such that the enemy is gradually attrited as it advances.
– Will use blocking and delaying forces to slow an attack so that the main defensive line can prepare its positions.
– Will maintain a reserve for various uses like a counter attack when the enemy is spent.
– Will use pickets to gather intelligence about the enemy.
– Will use screen forces to deny the enemy intelligence about actions and movements deep in the rear.
– Will give priority to the transportation network such it will attempt to seize key junctions denying the enemy ability to move troop and reinforce a battle.
– Will peform a hasty attack if it perceives that the enemy is disorganized; will perform a careful cohesive attack against a prepared defense.
– Will use terrain as part of a defensive plan like set up a defense on the far side of a major river; give priority to holding bridges.
– Will use exploit a break in the lines with fast forces such as cavarly to cause havoc in the rear.
– Will give priority to political objectives that might break the will to fight.
– Will attempt to flank a line a roll it up.
– Will draw the enemy into kill areas made up of difficult terrain, prepared defenses, and artillery barrages.
– Will trade terrain for time if the future offers recruitment/trained troop/foreign reserves.
– Will preserve its forces and avoid attrition situations if manpower levels are low.
– Will force high attrition combat if the enemy has less manpower.
Well, the above are just some examples. The point is that the items above are what you would expect of a human commander.
-Markshot, at the Ageod Forum